Sunday, October 25, 2009

Rhodes Softball....Hits for the Foundation...


For those of you that do not know, my dear sweet friend Stephanie Vasofsky passed away to cervical cancer in January 2008. Steph's story is strong....she touched so many lives with her gentle spirit and her fight and drive to live her last days and finish strong! Before she passed away she got busy doing many things....and she requested many things of family and friends. One thing she requested was for us to start a foundation for cervical cancer and for the vision to be education on cervical cancer, HPV, and the Gardasil vaccination....and so, after huge stacks of paperwork, long phone calls, and long hours of typing and pondering, the foundation was formed! The Stephanie Vasofsky Cervical Cancer Foundation was approved by the state of TN in January 2009! We have a long way to go but we are off to a good start!

In September 2008, Rhodes College Softball Coach (goes to church with us) asked if we could coordinate an awareness softball game with their team. And so we did! And this year, for 2009, we did it again. These girls are awesome!

Coach Hicks asked me to come out and talk to the girls alone about HPV and cervical cancer. We had a great discussion and they asked lots of questions. I was able to share Stephanie's story on a more personal level with them...it is always an eye opener for many, including college age girls. One of the freshman girls designed the shirts for us and then they sold the shirts on campus the week of the game. On game day, they hosted 2 teams....which gave me a great audience! The girls won the first game and then I spoke immediately after the first game to 3 teams, parents, and those there to cheer on their team. It was an awesome experience for me. I of course took my sidekick JT with me for support....and then my trusty two friends Tracie and Sheila came out as well to give info and hand out armbands.

Below is Sarah as she is getting ready to pitch.....


And my friends...Tracie, me, and Drive by Sheila (there's a story there)

Rhodes after they won the first game....

Huddled and celebrating....

I am preparing to speak to the gathered group....

Some more of the girls warming up for the next game....

This is Liv....she is a really good player!

The whole team with Coach Hicks. I am blended in there as well and I blend very well. I think I could pass for a college age girl again....

All the girls and Coach Hicks wore their armbands during the game and they wear them on campus. Steph came up with the logo for the foundation before she passed away....Pray Race and Yell for a Cure! Thank you to Coach Hicks and Rhodes College Softball for educating yourselves and others on cervical cancer. Rhodes Softball will always have our support. Together we can do this....FEEL TEAL!!!!!










1 comment:

Witty Whitfields said...

You are such a wonderful friend to Stephanie. At what age can girls start getting this shot? I think it is such a great thing you are doing!