Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Flat Stanley visits...the Holy Land...

Some of you may know Flat Stanley....yes, he is a visitor in our home. He was made by Samuel at his school. Flat Stanley travels all over the world to visit special people and places. We have to journal about Flat Stanley's travels while he visits with us.

Flat got to meet some very special people last week. You see, our church puts on a major production of the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus...called the Passion Play. Since I am in it, I got backstage access to put Flat in the path of many different people. Flat has been riding in my purse in order to get to the church...then once we got out of the parking lot and into the church...Flat entered the Holy Land....

His most important visit was with Jesus....He is so gentle and caring and was more than happy to meet Flat and pause for a picture. I am sure that will be Flat's most memorable photo shoot. FYI...Jesus is played by Cary Vaughn who has been playing this role for 14 years. He does a wonderful job portraying Jesus, well as we think Jesus would be. Although he is just "playing" the role, my heart beats very fast when we are "in action" on the stage and I see Jesus...I can't even imagine what it will really be like to actually see Jesus face to face....

Now back to Flat...then we ran up on Noah. Noah was very kind and willingly held Flat for a picture. Flat asked Noah alot of questions about the ark and all the animals....for some reason Noah whispered the answers so I could not hear....then Noah told me that some things are kept secret until we get to heaven....hmmmm

Then we came upon the Pharisees...now these 2 were characters! They were proud to just get their picture taken. They were part of the crew that wanted to have Jesus put to death....scared Flat just a little.....

Now here was 2 sweet Jews....Eric and Ashley. Eric was one of the disciples and Ashley played one of the Jews. Had a lot of fun getting to know these 2 better and we laughed alot. They were very pleased to get a picture with Flat....

Eric even shared his Bumpy Jellybeans with Flat. We ate an entire bag of Bumpy Jellybeans for each performance....those are the best!!!!

Oh my...and then there was Caiaphas, the high priest...what a hateful man! He wanted to Jesus die...and he wanted to have Flat put in prison for wanting a picture with him!!!!

Caiaphas turned Jesus over to Pilate and his crew....now they were a piece of work. They immediately grabbed Flat and started wrestling him...we took a quick shot and got away fast....

My friend Joanna took Flat into the choir room to sit in the pit choir. He got to meet Charlie Brown and they got along great.

See Flat in the pit choir?

Flat also went to a Jewish wedding and met the bride and groom....

He went to Egypt and met these Egyptians....seriously...with Joseph of Arimathea right amongst them....

Then we met up with Pharaoh....he was one decorated dude...

Then we meet 2 of the disciples...Peter and Judas. You all know the story....poor Peter...he was such the follower of Jesus and then denied Him 3 times...then Judas betrayed Jesus....whew, but they were happy to meet Flat....

And last but not least.....Flat did not get his picture with these 2 dancing Jewish girls....that is me and my sister. We were 2 of the Hosanna dancers and what fun we had! Samuel and Anna had such a good time watching the performance and asking questions and watching the stories come to life on stage...this was an excellent way for them to see Jesus and His followers in action. It was very touching to be a part of this and I am already looking forward to next year's performances....












4 comments:

The Bynum's said...

I love it! How exciting for Flat Stanley. What a neat perspective he got on life. Would love to get that perspective of the Holy Land, some day!
Katie

Maria said...

I was looking at some blogs tonight and "Flat Stanely" caught my eye...My son did this project in school a few years back..I loved how you took pictres with all the diffrent people!! You have a great blog and a beautiful family! Blessings, from Kentucky!

Maria

Amy S said...

We love the Flat Stanley Story. I can only imagine what it would be like to see Jesus face to face one day, too. Molly loves all of the pictures! Flat really did some traveling. What a story he has to tell!

Ames

parker's granny said...

Flat Stanley and I have been friends for years, my students and I have taken him many places. He had a great adventure with you!
Those dancing girls are very beautiful!!!